Innovative Products and Processes Combine with Forward-Thinking Science to Reduce Environmental Impact
CHICAGO, Nov. 16 – 19, 2010 – DuPont is committed to creating smarter, more sustainable building solutions. At Greenbuild 2010, DuPont is bringing that commitment to life by showcasing how it is using recycled materials to create long lasting, beautiful surfaces like DuPont™ Corian® solid surface and Zodiaq® quartz surface, as well as additional examples of how the company continues to make manufacturing processes more efficient. Also on display will be building products like DuPont™ Tyvek® weatherization barriers which help builders construct buildings that use less energy, as well as landscape products that work to enhance nature. This full portfolio of products earn LEED® points while helping to reduce a building’s impact on the environment and continuing to provide comfort and functional beauty.
“We continue to develop innovations that reduce a building’s impact on the environment,” said Doug Baker, Americas business director – DuPont Building Innovations. “DuPont products can be found extensively within and around a building, in walls, floors, roofs, surfaces and the exterior landscape. It is critical – both for the environment and our business – that we create smart, sustainable solutions that also deliver appealing form and function.”
DuPont sustainability efforts include the launch of new products, as well as manufacturing innovations with current products that tangibly contribute to net-zero energy buildings. DuPont products exhibited at Greenbuild this year include:
- DuPont™ Exterior Cladding – DuPont™ Exterior Cladding is an engineered surface that meets builders’ and architects’ needs for durable barrier walls and rainscreens, as well as unlimited design flexibility. It is long-lasting and can be renewed, and offers ease of installation and maintenance. DuPont™ Exterior Cladding is available in a number of colors that contain pre-consumer recycled content, and may contribute to points under the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED® rating systems for building reuse, materials reuse, recycled content, regional materials, and innovation and design.
- DuPont™ ForeverLawn® – DuPont™ ForeverLawn® is a non-flammable, pet-friendly and innovative synthetic grass product designed to create better landscapes. It offers a natural-looking alternative in areas where grass is hard to grow. Using ForeverLawn® requires no water and eliminates the need for fertilizers, pesticides and weed killers. Additionally, the final backing layer of the product contains recycled plastic bottle content, and a second layer features BioCel® technology created from soybean plants – a renewable resource. Builders may utilize ForeverLawn® products to meet U.S. Green Building Council LEED® guidelines, with credits applying to sections SS 6.1, SS 6.2, WE 1, MR 4, and MR 6.
- DuPont™ Corian® Solid Surfaces – DuPont™ Corian® solid surfaces are low-maintenance materials that provide builders with innovative style, design flexibility and high-performance benefits for interior walls, countertops, backsplashes and other surfaces. DuPont™ Corian® may help earn U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED® points for Building Reuse, Materials Reuse, Recycled Content, Regional Materials, and Environmental Quality Low Emitting Materials – Adhesives and Sealants. Seven colors in the DuPont™ Corian® Terra Collection have at least 13 percent pre-consumer recycled material as certified by Scientific Certification Systems. Twenty of the colors in the Terra Collection are made with at least 6 percent pre-consumer recycled content.
- DuPont™ Zodiaq® Quartz Surface – DuPont™ Zodiaq® quartz surface is a luxurious surfacing material made with pure quartz crystals, making it three to seven times stronger than most natural stone surfaces. DuPont™ Zodiaq® Terra Collection quartz surfaces contain at least 25 percent post-consumer recycled glass and may help earn U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED® for Homes™ and LEED® 2009 for the Design, Construction and Major Renovations of Commercial and Institutional Buildings for recycled content, local production, low-emitting materials, and Innovation & Design.
- DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied Weather Barrier (WB) System –The DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB System provides the superior protection of DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap®, but in a fluid-applied form that is easier to install on concrete, CMU and complex high-rise buildings. As it seals the building envelope, DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB System allows for the design of more sustainable structures through enhanced energy efficiency and protection from mold and mildew.
- DuPont™ Tyvek® Weatherization Systems – DuPont™ Tyvek® Weatherization System includes DuPont™ Tyvek® Fluid Applied WB, CommercialWrap®, CommercialWrap® D, Home Wrap®, AtticWrap™, ThermaWrap™, DrainWrap™, StuccoWrap®, Wrap Caps, Tape, DuPont™ Flashing Systems, DuPont™ Weatherization Sealant, and DuPont™ RoofLiner. DuPont Weatherization Systems are engineered to seal the building envelope, offering protection against air infiltration in the wall system which helps to reduce energy needed for heating and cooling.
In addition to exhibiting products, DuPont is promoting the new DuPont BIM Design Studio at Greenbuild. This interactive, online wall assembly design tool allows architects, specifiers and building envelope consultants to easily incorporate DuPont™ Tyvek® products into their wall system. Unique to the BIM Design Studio is the ability for users to perform condensation and energy analyses of a desired wall assembly. The energy modeling analysis helps predict the energy savings, through heating and cooling cost, that could be seen by using DuPont™ Tyvek® weatherization products.
DuPont – one of the first companies to publicly establish environmental goals 20 years ago – has broadened its sustainability commitments beyond internal footprint reduction to include market-driven targets for both revenue and research and development investment. The goals are tied directly to business growth, specifically to the development of safer and environmentally improved new products for key global markets.
DuPont (www.dupont.com) is a science-based products and services company. Founded in 1802, DuPont puts science to work by creating sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere. Operating in more than 90 countries, DuPont offers a wide range of innovative products and services for markets including agriculture and food; building and construction; communications; and transportation.
# # #
Photo Credit: Matthew Carbone
The DuPont Oval Logo, DuPont™, The miracles of science™, Corian®, Zodiaq®, Tyvek®, CommercialWrap®, CommercialWrap® D, Home Wrap®, AtticWrap™, ThermaWrap™, DrainWrap™, and StuccoWrap® are registered trademarks or trademarks of DuPont or its affiliates.
LEED® for Homes™ is a trademark of the U.S. Green Building Council. LEED® and Green Building Rating System™ are registered trademarks or trademark of the U.S. Green Building Council.
BioCel® is a registered trademark of Universal Textiles Technologies.
ForeverLawn® is a registered trademark of ForeverLawn, Inc.