The most important questions you'll need to ask when choosing your career....
Question 1 - What do I want out of a Career?
The career you might want is one that:
- Offers you maximum personal growth and development
- Enables you to develop skills, knowledge and experience and apply them well
- Offers you job satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment
- Offers you competitive and attractive compensation and benefits
- Is interesting and enjoyable
- Is long term
Question 2 - What kind of company offers a career?
You can assess a company by looking at the quality of its:
- Reputation and track record - business performance, financial stability, growth and global presence
- Products and services - quality, innovation, research and development, corporate culture, vision, mission and management
- People, employees, customers and shareholders
- Contributions to society and the community
- Compensation and benefits package
Question 3 - How can a company help me grow?
The company and career you choose should provide you with maximum opportunities and the right environment to achieve your professional and personal goals. These may include:
- Professional, technical or specialist expertise in management and leadership skills
- Recognition as a valued asset to your organization and your colleagues
- A strong sense of belonging and identity
- Rewarding job satisfaction
- Personal growth and development
- In the forefront of technology, bringing state-of-the-art expertise to the countries in which it operates
- Sincerely values employees as the key to its success
- Prides itself on its people-oriented "development' culture, where leaders are coaches, and team developers, and people are a valuable resource
- Seeks to provide the best possible working environment, promoting initiative taking and conducive to creative thinking
- Celebrates the "team', while recognizing the individual
- Encourages and develops skills in self-management, teamwork, communications, problem-solving and leadership
- Offers a challenging environment for personal development and growth, with a commitment to individual career management
- Provides the opportunity to work with a diversity of talents and cultures, with access to a global network of resources and the possibility of overseas assignments
Question 4 - Apart from salary, what should I look for?
Salary is important, but a comprehensive career package means more than that. It includes;
- Training and development
- A comprehensive package of salary and benefits
- Benefits include leave, holiday subsidy, insurance and medical coverage, dental care, and housing and car loan assistance
- Training and development programs that will enhance your professional and technical capabilities, as well as leadership, management and interpersonal skills