Using Blacktop & Roof Premier Silicone
Follow these simple instructions for applying sealant to blacktop, roofs and other projects. Applying DuPont™ silicone sealants is simple, and all of the products easily clean up with mineral spirits. DuPont™ Blacktop & Roof Premier Silicone is available in a cartridge which requires a caulk gun to apply.
The area must be thoroughly cleaned before caulking any joint, gap or crack. Surfaces to be caulked must be dry and free of all dirt, dust, oil, mildew, loose paint and old caulk. Use masking tape to prevent sealant from sticking to adjoining areas. Remove tape immediately after sealant has been tooled. Only apply sealant when surface and air temperatures will remain above 40°F. Do not apply on surfaces that are above 100°F.
• Clean surface to be caulked.
• For gaps greater than 1/2″ deep, use a backer rod.
• Insert caulk tube into the caulk gun.
• Cut the dispensing nozzle at a 45° angle.
• Puncture inner foil seal.
• While slowly squeezing the caulk gun trigger, gently push the sealant nozzle along the gap to be sealed. Ensure complete contact is made on both surfaces being sealed.
• Smooth applied bead with a moist cloth or finishing tool.
• Clean tools with mineral spirits.
• Cured bead should be between 1/8″ and ½″ wide.
• Allow two hours curing time before exposing to a wet or damp environment.
Coverage: 53 linear feet for a 3/16″ bead (9.8 oz cartridge).
Not intended for areas that will be painted or submerged in water. Do not use in aquariums. Do not use on surfaces that come into contact with food. Keep unused product from freezing.
Frequently Asked Questions:
• Why DuPont™ Blacktop & Roof Premier Silicone over other brands?
DuPont™ Blacktop & Roof Premier Silicone is a premium 100% silicone rubber sealant. It offers a weather-resistant seal and can be exposed to rainwater in just two hours after being applied.
• Does the product have mold and mildew protection?
Yes, DuPont™ Blacktop & Roof Premier Silicone contains a mildewcide giving it excellent mold and mildew resistance.
• What is a mildewcide?
Mildewcide is a term for chemicals that retard the growth of mold and mildew. DuPont™ Blacktop & Roof Premier Silicone contains a mildewcide that resists the growth of unsightly mold and mildew on the surface of the caulk after it is cured.
• What type of surface preparation is needed prior to applying the product?
It is important that the area be thoroughly cleaned before caulking any joint, gap or crack. Surfaces to be caulked must be dry and free of all dirt, dust, oil, mildew, loose paint and old caulk. Only apply when caulk, surface and air temperatures will remain above 40°F. Do not apply on surfaces that are above 100°F.
• What if it rains after applying the product?
DuPont™ Blacktop & Roof Premier Silicone can be exposed to water in just two hours after application.
• Can the product be painted?
No, only the Paintable Premier Silicone formula can be painted.
• Can I use it to seal my aquarium?
It is NOT recommended that any of the DuPont™ caulk products be used in areas that will be immersed in water for long periods of time. Products specifically designed for pools and aquariums should be used for this type of application.
• Is DuPont™ Blacktop & Roof Premier Silicone VOC compliant?
Yes. All of the DuPont™ silicone sealants are in compliance with the CARB VOC regulations. The VOC content is less than 3%.
• What do I use to clean excess product from tools or other surfaces?
All of the DuPont™ silicone sealants can be cleaned up with mineral spirits.
Have you tried DuPont™ Blacktop & Roof Premier Silicone for your project?