How to Use Paintable Premier Silicone
Follow these simple instructions for applying the paintable silicone. Applying DuPont™ silicone sealants is simple, and all of the products easily clean up with mineral spirits. DuPont™ Paintable Premier Silicone is packaged in a cartridge which requires a caulk gun to apply.
The area must be thoroughly cleaned before caulking any joint, gap or crack. Surfaces to be caulked must be dry and free of all dirt, dust, oil, mildew, loose paint, and old caulk. Use masking tape to prevent sealant from sticking to adjoining areas. Remove tape immediately after sealant has been tooled. Only apply sealant when surface and air temperatures will remain above 40°F. Do not apply on surfaces that are above 100°F.
• Test paint for compatibility prior to caulking.
• Clean surface to be caulked.
• For gaps greater than 1/2″ deep, use a backer rod.
• Insert caulk tube into the caulk gun.
• Cut the dispensing nozzle at a 45° angle.
• Puncture inner foil seal.
• While slowly squeezing the caulk gun trigger, gently push the sealant nozzle along the gap to be sealed. Ensure complete contact is made on both surfaces being sealed.
• Smooth applied bead with a moist cloth or finishing tool.
• Clean tools with mineral spirits.
• Cured bead should be between 1/8″ and ½″ wide.
• Allow 30 minutes before applying paint and one hour curing time before exposing to a wet or damp environment.
Coverage: 52 linear feet for a 3/16″ bead (9.5 oz cartridge).
Not intended for areas that will be submerged in water. Do not use in aquariums Do not use on surfaces that come into contact with food. Keep unused product from freezing.
Frequently Asked Questions:
• What are the advantages of DuPont™ Paintable Premier Silicone?
DuPont™ Paintable Premier Silicone is a premium hybrid silicone that may be painted 30 minutes after application (most silicone sealants cannot be painted). The sealant can be exposed to water without washing out within one hour of application.
• Can DuPont™ Paintable Premier Silicone be used to fill cracks and nail holes?
Yes, DuPont™ Paintable Premier Silicone is ideal for filling small cracks and nail holes.
• Can I use it on the exterior of my home?
Yes, DuPont™ Paintable Premier Silicone is a premium hybrid silicone that meets the stringent ASTM C-920 testing standards requirements, and may be used on both interior and exterior applications.
• What type of surface preparation is needed prior to applying the product?
It is important that the area be thoroughly cleaned before caulking any joint, gap or crack. Surfaces to be caulked must be dry and free of all dirt, dust, oil, mildew, loose paint and old caulk. Only apply when caulk, surface and air temperatures will remain above 40°F. Do not apply on surfaces that are above 100°F.
• What is spiderwebbing?
Spiderwebbing is a term used to describe paint film cracking. Typically, if you paint over caulk before it dries, the paint film will crack and discolor. DuPont™ Paintable Premier Silicone is uniquely formulated to prevent spiderwebbing.
• Is DuPont™ Paintable Premier Silicone VOC compliant?
Yes. All of the DuPont™ silicone sealants are in compliance with the CARB VOC regulations. The VOC content is less than 3%.
• What do I use to clean excess product from tools or other surfaces?
All of the DuPont™ silicone sealants can be cleaned with mineral spirits.
Have you tried DuPont™ Painters Caulk with Speed Dry™ Technology for your project?