The Latest Generation of Established Display Technologies and New Market-Ready Solutions on Exhibit
DuPont Displays today announced that it will showcase the latest generation of many of its established display technologies as well as market-ready new solutions at the Society for Information Display’s (SID) International Symposium in Los Angeles, Calif., May 18-23. DuPont Displays seeks to improve display performance, reduce production costs, increase size and enable further progress with ongoing product advances in LCD, OLED, PDP and film technologies.
“It’s our goal at DuPont Displays to continue to introduce innovative and sustainable solutions that enable displays manufacturers to better keep pace with the industry challenges of providing larger displays with better resolution at lower costs,” said E. James Prendergast, vice president and chief technology officer, DuPont Electronic & Communication Technologies. “I’m pleased to announce that this year we have on exhibit both new market-ready offerings and the next generation of many of our proven technologies that contribute significantly to achieving further performance and cost benefits across displays technologies.”
LCD Technologies on Display:
- DuPont™ Optilon™ Thermal Color Filter (TCF) System – This innovative digital printing technology for manufacturing color filters eliminates the photomasks and liquid chemicals used in traditional photolithography for significant cost savings and reduced environmental impact. DuPont™ Optilon™ TCF has successfully passed all downstream processes for color filter production and LCD assembly in beta testing, with product commercialization targeted for 2009.
- DuPont™ Optilon™ Advanced Composite Reflectors (ACR) – These are used in LCD backlights to significantly improve overall LCD display performance while reducing cost and power consumption. Made from microfiber nonwoven composite materials, Optilon™ ACR films have intrinsically high reflectivity, high light diffusivity and excellent UV stability.
- DuPont™ Vertak™ Bonding Technology – For the first time ever, DuPont is licensing its industry-leading bonding technology, which increases display readability up to 400 percent and impact and scratch resistance up to 300 percent, to LCD and touch panel manufacturers seeking to launch new bonding operations with low barriers to entry. DuPont will also market its high performance adhesive and the new reworkable Gen 2 adhesive, which will be available later this year.
- Solution Process AMOLED Technology – DuPont has developed solution printed OLED technology that is designed to lower AMOLED manufacturing costs. DuPont’s proprietary technology includes a set of solution-based OLED materials that can be printed and coated at high speed using an innovative process. Fabrication of AMOLED displays by solution process reduces material consumption and lowers equipment costs compared to incumbent vapor deposition processes. These advantages result in significant cost benefits over both LCD and the incumbent technology. This year, DuPont is highlighting that it has achieved important milestones in demonstrating excellent performance of printed OLED displays using its technology.
- DuPont™ Fodel® Photoimageable Thick-Film Paste – This is well established as a leading technology for the metallization of plasma display panel (PDP) front bus electrodes, providing high resolution and improved image quality for large format, full high definition television. New this year, the Fodel® eighth generation (8G) system provides improved printability and wider process latitude. The ruthenium pyrochlore-based black pigments have been replaced with a novel and proprietary black pigment system based entirely on lower cost metals, so that PDP manufacturers can compete more cost effectively.
- DuPont™ Transfer Materials Technology (TMT) – This is an innovative dry film-based high precision patterning technology for the metallization of substrates. Scalable to large glass substrates and easy to automate, this dry film-based process allows imaging of conductor lines and spaces down to a resolution of 20 microns. In the final stages of commercialization, a sample of TMT technology will be exhibited at SID.
Film Technologies from DuPont Teijin Films:
- PET Films for Plastic Electronic Applications – The Melinex®, Mylar® and Teijin® Tetoron® brands of stabilized films, including newly developed thin films (50 and 75 µm), are strong and flexible with excellent resistance to heat, abrasion, chemicals and moisture. The new commercially available planarized PET film has a smooth, clean surface that is ideal for ITO sputtering or other optical coatings and thermally stabilized grades of planarized PET film offer excellent registration and flatness.
- Teonex® PEN Film – This is the substrate of choice for demanding flexible display applications, such as high performance touch screens, flexible OLEDs, e-paper, high-barrier flexible substrates, flexible microelectronics and TFTs. Teonex® PEN film provides superior performance for applications exposed to extreme heat and harsh chemicals, or when exceptional barrier performance is required. Heat stabilized optical grade Teonex® PEN film is now planarized and commercially available to meet the most demanding application requirements.
DuPont and DuPont Teijin Films representatives will be available throughout the show in booth #119 to discuss these and other DuPont innovations for flat panel displays. DuPont and DuPont Teijin Films engineers will also present papers on topics of interest throughout the week at the symposium.
DuPont Displays puts science to work to develop innovative and sustainable solutions that improve display performance, reduce costs and enable next-generation breakthroughs across a broad range of technologies, including liquid crystal displays (LCDs), organic light emitting diode (OLED) displays, plasma display panels (PDPs) and films. Leveraging DuPont material science expertise and its culture of innovation, DuPont Displays develops advanced materials and combines them with DuPont precision patterning technologies and other processing expertise in a systems approach to display technology. By closely tailoring its materials and processes to work together, DuPont Displays provides cost-effective, high performance solutions designed to overcome industry challenges.
DuPont is a science-based products and services company. Founded in 1802, DuPont puts science to work by creating sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere. Operating in more than 70 countries, DuPont offers a wide range of innovative products and services for markets including agriculture and food; building and construction; communications; and transportation.
# # #
The DuPont Oval Logo, DuPont™, The miracles of science™, Fodel®, Optilon™, and Vertak™ are registered trademarks or trademarks of DuPont or its affiliates.
Melinex® and Mylar® are registered trademarks of DuPont Teijin Films U.S. Limited Partnership. Teijin® and Tetoron® are registered trademarks of Teijin Limited and are licensed to DuPont Teijin Films U.S. Limited Partnership. Teonex®is a registered trademark of Teijin DuPont Films, Japan Limited and is licensed to DuPont Teijin Films U.S. Limited Partnership.