As a leading science company, DuPont brings together high performance, aesthetics and safety for sea lovers. DuPont is a partner of choice for the Marine Industry with its sustainable, technology driven solutions. With its offices located globally, DuPont brings together its portfolio of solutions to meet the needs of all key players in the industry.
The information and links on this page will help guide you to detailed information on the variety of products DuPont offers for the marine transportation segment.
For more information regarding DuPont's offering in marine, please check out the Marine Solutions Brochure.
Coatings, Paints & Finishes
DuPont offers innovative tools, technologies and services for marine coatings and finishes, all backed by DuPont science:
- Serving all your coating needs above the water line, DuPont Marine Finishes are not only easy to apply but also come with excellent environmental credentials.
- Starblast™ excels at removing mill scale and rust from new steel and is highly effective in removing paints and coatings from most surfaces.
- Ti-Pure® Titanium Dioxides meet the varied needs of the coatings industry.
DuPont provides high performance elastomers for use in innovative solutions to help customers stay ahead of the competition:
- Hypalon® has been used for over 40 years in many diverse synthetic rubber applications because of its broad assortment of valuable properties.
- Kalrez® parts provide reliable, long-term service with a wide range of aggressive industrial and electronic grade chemicals (e.g. used for o-rings and marine turbine engines).
- Viton® fluoroelastomers deliver a combination of high-temperature performance and excellent chemical resistance.
Look to DuPont for a comprehensive range of engineering polymers and resources to help you meet needs for rugged, economical components and products:
- Mercury Marine over-molds Delrin® acetal onto titanium rods to make an innovative torque spring that damps vibration and shock loads when shifting from neutral into gear.
- Surlyn® resins deliver impact toughness, abrasion resistance and chemical resistance in a variety of products. Because of its unusual properties, Surlyn® resins are found in foamed ocean buoys and boat bumpers.
- The fuel module for Mercury Marine’s Verado™ four-stroke outboard boat engines is protected by a rugged two-piece housing injection molded from Zytel® HTN high performance polyamide.
DuPont Electronic Technologies represents the industry’s broadest array of electronic products; a deep understanding of materials; science and process expertise:
- DuPont™ Direct Bonding uses industry-leading adhesive technology and a cost-effective lamination process to optically bond an anti-reflective glass, plastic or touch sensor directly to the front of a flat panel display.
- Microcircuit Materials - DuPont thick film conductors, resistors and dielectrics can add power and performance to specialty marine engine control modules (ECM's).
Fibers & Honeycombs
DuPont is continuously working to develop solutions such that offer the optimal strength-to-weight ratio:
- Kevlar® in marine composites provides the ideal balance of strength, stiffness and light weight properties for many marine applications.
- Both Kevlar® and Nomex® have proven to be highly effective for the construction of hulls, superstructures, bulkheads and furniture that are both tough and durable.
DuPont Teijin Films offers the broadest portfolio of polyester films of any supplier in the industry and has an unmatched technology platform to continue bringing the most innovative solutions to serve customer needs:
- Sails made with Mylar® polyester film are light, flexible and easy to sail with in very light air.
Fire Fighting Solutions
With over 30 years of leadership in the science of fire suppression, DuPont is committed to developing safe, reliable products that improve performance – and meet regulatory guidelines:
- Fire-fighting foams made with Forafac® fluorinated surfactants extinguish fire and increase burn-back time on all types of polar liquid and hydrocarbon fires.
- DuPont Fire Extinguishants offer a wide range of FE clean agent fire extinguishants that are safe for people, electrically nonconductive, non-corrosive and free of residue.
Products made with fluoropolymer resins have exceptional resistance to high temperatures, chemical reaction, corrosion and stress-cracking:
- Krytox® oils and greases offer a unique combination of properties that provide exceptional performance, with solutions to your most difficult problems.
DuPont offers a range of materials and solutions providing high functionality while satisfying design and aesthetics:
- Corian® is a solid surface offering superior design possibilities and excellent long-term performance, with many uses across a wide range of sectors.
- SentryGlas® Expressions™ technology enables textures, company logos and images to be incorporated into a range of architectural glass applications such as safety messages.
- Zodiaq® adds a touch of lustrous elegance, creating surfaces that are strong, durable and resistant to stains and salty air.
- Zonyl® protective finishes used on carpets, textiles, and other products provide superior stain- and soil- resistance, oil- and water- repellency, durable protection, and improved cleanability. Zonyl® protective finishes offer valuable time-saving and easy-cleaning benefits, and keep products looking newer, longer.
Glass Laminating Solutions
DuPont innovations in laminated safety glass are helping people everywhere live, work and travel more safely while enjoying increased use of glass in their environment:
- Glass laminated with Butacite® polyvinyl butyral (PVB) can offer protection even after the glass is broken, because glass fragments adhere to the interlayer.
- SentryGlas® structural interlayer offers the possibility to reduce the overall glass weight, moreover the laminates have exceptional post-breakage behaviour properties in fact SentryGlasPlus not only retains glass fragments but can withstand considerable load due its intrinsic stiffness and tear strength. The SentryGlas® Plus interlayer has an excellent weatherabilty in marine environments.
- Spallshield® anti-spall composite prevents spalling, i.e. the shower of glass that occurs when conventional glass is penetrated from the opposite side. This specific feature is taken into account when designing glass roof but also in high security glazing.