The information and links on this page will help guide you to detailed information on the variety of products DuPont offers for the rail transportation segment.
Coatings, Paints & Finishes
DuPont offers innovative tools, technologies and services for rail coatings and finishes, all backed by DuPont science.
- DuPont Performance Coatings (DPC) is a key supplier of paints and protective coatings to the European railway industry.
- Starblast™ excels at removing mill scale and rust from new steel and is highly effective in removing paints and coatings from most surfaces.
- Ti-Pure® Titanium Dioxides meet the varied needs of the coatings industry.
DuPont provides high performance elastomers for use in innovative solutions to help customers stay ahead of the competition:
- Hytrel® thermoplastic polyester elastomers provide a winning combination for many parts and components in the rail industry.
- Hypalon® chlorosulfonated polyethylene shows its true strength when exposed to high temperatures and oxidizing chemicals. It resists flex cracking and abrasion as well as the damaging effects of weather, UV/ozone, heat and chemicals.
- Vamac® ethylene acrylic elastomers are useful in applications where combined heat and oil resistance plus exacting rubber-like mechanical properties are needed.
Look to DuPont for a comprehensive range of engineering polymers and resources to help you meet needs for rugged, economical components and products:
- Delrin® bridges the gap between metals and ordinary plastics with a unique combination of strength, stiffness, hardness, dimensional stability, toughness, fatigue resistance, solvent and fuel resistance, abrasion resistance, low wear and low friction.
- Zytel® nylon is the most versatile of plastics - easy to process; easy to modify to meet specific needs, environmentally responsible in production and in reuse.
DuPont Electronic Technologies represents the industry’s broadest array of electronic products; a deep understanding of materials; science and process expertise:
- DuPont™ Direct Bonding uses industry-leading adhesive technology and a cost-effective lamination process to optically bond an anti-reflective glass, plastic or touch sensor directly to the front of a flat panel display.
- When used as an insulation material in traction motors and electrical machines, Kapton® CR is designed specifically to reduce the damaging effects of corona.
Fibers & Honeycombs
DuPont is continuously working to develop solutions such that offer the optimal strength-to-weight ratio:
- The remarkable performance characteristics of Kevlar® helps enable manufacturers to build rail cars that are lighter and more durable, resulting in increased fuel efficiency and lower operating and maintenance costs.
- By virtue of its unique ability to withstand electrical loads, and because of its mechanical strength, thermal stability, chemical compatibility, longevity and flame-resistance, DuPont Nomex® is used in critical high-voltage insulation applications.
DuPont Teijin Films offers the broadest portfolio of polyester films of any supplier in the industry and has an unmatched technology platform to continue bringing the most innovative solutions to serve customer needs:
Mylar® polyester film is used to protect rail carriage windows from scratching and other forms of vandalism
Fire Fighting Solutions
With over 30 years of leadership in the science of fire suppression, DuPont is committed to developing safe, reliable products that improve performance – and meet regulatory guidelines:
- Fire-fighting foams made with Forafac® fluorinated surfactants extinguish fire and increase burn-back time on all types of polar liquid and hydrocarbon fires.
- DuPont Fire Extinguishants offer a wide range of FE clean agent fire extinguishants that are safe for people, electrically nonconductive, non-corrosive and free of residue.
Products made with fluoropolymer resins have exceptional resistance to high temperatures, chemical reaction, corrosion and stress-cracking:
- Krytox® performance lubricants have demonstrated the broad applicability to replace hundreds of purpose-formulated conventional oils and greases throughout the rail industry
- Tedlar® films give designers of rail carriages maximum design flexibility in creating passenger areas that are attractive, easy to clean, and scuff-resistant.
- Vertrel® specialty fluids are a family of hydrofluorocarbon-based fluids with zero ozone depletion and low global warming potential. They are used for a wide variety of applications in the rail industry
DuPont offers a range of materials and solutions providing high functionality while satisfying design and aesthetics:
- Corian® is a solid surface offering superior design possibilities and excellent long-term performance, with many uses across a wide range of sectors.
- Hydrology™ leather tanning science keeps the leather of rail carrige seats supple and sexy, yet tough enough to shrug off whatever time and nature can dish out.
- SentryGlas® Expressions™ technology enables textures, company logos and images to be incorporated into a range of architectural glass applications such as safety messages.
- Zodiaq® adds a touch of lustrous elegance, creating surfaces that are strong, durable and resistant.
- Zonyl® protective finishes used on carpets, textiles, and other products provide superior stain- and soil- resistance, oil- and water- repellency, durable protection, and improved cleanability. Zonyl® protective finishes offer valuable time-saving and easy-cleaning benefits, and keep products looking newer, longer.
Glass Laminating Solutions
DuPont innovations in laminated safety glass are helping people everywhere live, work and travel more safely while enjoying increased use of glass in their environment:
- Glass laminated with Butacite® polyvinyl butyral (PVB) can offer protection even after the glass is broken, because glass fragments adhere to the interlayer.
- SentryGlas® Plus structural interlayer offers tougher windows systems.
- Spallshield® anti-spall composite prevents spalling, i.e. the shower of glass that occurs when conventional glass is penetrated from the opposite side.
Isceon® offers a complete family of easy-to-use, non-ozone-depleting HFC retrofit refrigerants for CFC and HCFC equipment. Isceon® Provides easy, quick, cost-effective retrofits with no change of lubricant type required in most systems
DuPont is leading the industry with Suva® refrigerants, the broadest range of environmentally friendly and effective alternatives for new and existing refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment.
Renewably Sourced Materials
- Sorona® polymer contains 37% renewably sourced material derived from corn. Used to create fabrics and carpets for rail interiors Sorona® exhibits unique characteristics.