DuPont™ Krytox® Performance Lubricants for the Aerospace and Aviation Industries.
Krytox® lubricants were initially developed by DuPont in the early 1960s specifically for the precise and demanding lubrication needs of the aerospace industry. Krytox® synthetic lubricants have since replaced hundreds of special-formula, hydrocarbon-based oils and greases throughout the aerospace and aviation industries, thanks to a long list of superior performance characteristics and certifications.
- Suborbital, orbital and deep space flight – require ironclad reliability and lifetime lubrication for critical components that must operate flawlessly in high vacuum and extreme temperatures, as well as endure exposure to fuels, oxidizers and radiation.
- Commercial, corporate and military aviation – demands safety, reliability and compliance with a wide range of precise military specifications, as well as reduced maintenance requirements.
Krytox® aerospace greases are available in grades conforming to/applicable under:
- MIL PRF-27617
- CAGE Code No. 50JY2 (manufacturing)
- CAGE Code No. 43S57 (business)
- FSN, NSN #9150-01-008-0498
- NATO #G-398
DuPont™ Krytox® perfluoropolyether- (PFPE-) based oils and greases provide a remarkable list of properties for aerospace applications, including:
- Unaffected lubricity and viscosity within a wide temperature range: -70 °C to 399 °C (-100°F to 750 °F)
- Stable physical properties over time – Krytox® lubricants are virtually unaffected by harsh environments like shock, vibration, heat, pressure and caustic chemicals such as rocket fuels and oxidizers, as well as being radiation resistant
- Resistance to vapor loss in a vacuum, such as during high altitude, orbit or deep space flight
- Excellent friction-reduction characteristics provide long wear and low energy consumption
- Compatible for use with most metals, elastomers, plastics, paints and finishes
- Nontoxic, non-flammable, inert and non-evaporative
- Krytox® 240AB and 240AC greases are NSF H1-certified for incidental food contact in food processing areas, such as commercial airline galleys
- World-class technical consultation tailored to the needs of the aerospace community
Aerospace lubricant applications include:
- Bearings – all types, including high-speed bearings, synchronous motor bearings in gyroscopes, thrust & vector control bearings
- Seals – valves and pumps
- Lubricants for space suits
- O-rings – sealants, lubricants
- Oxygen breathing systems for vehicle and space suit valve and pump packing seals, mechanical seals and connectors
- Rocket engine assemblies: liquid-fueled turbines, gimbals, pumps, reduction gears, valves with fuel/oxidizer exposure, threaded fasteners and metal connectors
- Valve and thread lubricant for aggressive systems
- Wing flap actuator
- Traction motors on lunar rover
- Assembly fluid and mobile magnetic barrier fluid to separate oil and water
Krytox® Aviation Application Overview
Krytox® is the lubricant of choice for demanding conditions — high and low temperatures, extreme pressure, harsh environments.
Request a DuPont™ Krytox® Lubricant Sample
Krytox® lubricants are formulated in a wide range of oils and greases for the requirements of many different aviation applications.
Krytox® aerospace lubricants were created by DuPont to withstand the rigors of orbital flights in the vacuum of space.