DuPont™ Krytox® Performance Lubricants for the Energy Industry
DuPont™ Krytox® for the Power Generation Industry
DuPont™ Krytox® Performance Lubricants have been used in the power generation industry since the 1980s. In both common and extreme applications, from turbine auxiliary systems to power plant MRO (maintenance, repair and operations), Krytox® lubricants are used in a variety of applications.
When compared to conventional lubricants, operating equipment such as turbine control valves, gearboxes, dampers and ductwork valves, compressors, bearings, boilers, and pumps — as well as gaskets and seals — all benefit from the superior lubricity and viscosity of DuPont™ Krytox® oils and greases. Krytox® lubricants help protect your equipment and extend the life of essential power generation and distribution components.
Your choice of lubricants can dramatically affect your production equipment uptime and life-cycle costs over time. Costly re-lubrication frequency, replacement costs for friction-worn components, corrosion and deterioration from harsh chemicals and high temperatures can impact power generation production, employee safety, equipment costs and performance. The many benefits of DuPont™ Krytox® Performance Lubricants include:
- Oxygen compatibility and non-reactivity with chemicals
- Withstanding extreme temperatures — from -15°C to 300°C
(0°F to 570°F), at vapor pressures as low as 10-13 mmHg
- Will not explode, ignite, decompose, react to form gummy or solid deposits, or act as fuel for fires
- Extended life — so you’ll use a fraction of the usual quantities
- Undamaged by — and non-reactive with — acidic or caustic cleaners and disinfectants, steam and moisture
- Chemically and biologically inert, silicone-free and non-reactive to virtually all elastomers, plastics and metals
- Contain no volatile organic compound (VOC) materials or chlorine
- Minimal environmental footprint — can be regenerated, and are compatible with chemicals commonly used in industry
Sootblower Carriage Applications
DuPont™ Krytox® Performance Lubricants for sootblower technology can improve boiler operating performance and can generate significant maintenance and capital savings. Krytox® gearbox grease, based on DuPont™ Teflon® PTFE technology, is formulated to lubricate and protect sootblower seals, bearings and gears. DuPont™ Krytox® sootblower lubrication technology optimizes equipment performance and offers low life-cycle cost, as well as many other benefits of Krytox® lubricants:
- Extreme temperature range of operation — designed to take the heat without deteriorating
- Demonstrated success by bench-top and OEM testing to provide maintenance-free operation for at least five years in severe boiler applications
- Long-lasting performance — Krytox® grease for gearboxes continues to protect your carriage components, so it reduces preventive maintenance and re-lubrication
- Potential for 20 years or more of maintenance-free gearbox operation in more moderate locations
- Ongoing technical support
Steam Turbine Governor Control Applications
Turbine camshaft or valve-lift bar anti-friction bearings, bushings and gears using conventional lubricants can wear, lock up or fail over time — causing excessive clearance, rough response and potential seizing of the governor control. The results can be felt in operational issues, such as turbine downtime or loss of steam feed control, as well as in costly maintenance, including:
- Frequent re-lubrication due to oxidation of a conventional lubricant
- Replacing failed bearings
- Breaking apart and replacing failed components
Because Krytox® grease protects turbine components from vibration and fretting wear, they will not oxidize or break down under extreme temperatures, nor when exposed to steam or caustic chemicals. Lubricating turbine governors using DuPont Krytox® Performance Lubricants technology offers outstanding equipment performance at low life-cycle cost. When compared to conventional lubricants, Krytox® benefits that have been documented during years of field use include:
- Improved turbine uptime
- Improved turbine control
- Reduced operating expense
- Extended component life
- Extended re-lubrication intervals
- Reduced effort and cost
Improving Turbine Frame Expansion Bearing Performance and Reliability
Turbine trunnion, thrust plate and gib key expansion bearings require effective lubrication to allow smooth thermal expansion and contraction of the turbine frame. In this high-temperature environment, degradation of conventional lubricants can result in turbine shutdown from excessive vibration or unscheduled maintenance shutdown to perform re-lubrication. Maintenance issues such as frequent re-lubrication, conventional lubricant oxidation, or plugged lubricant feed lines can result in downtime to break apart, clean and replace components.
Field-proven DuPont™ Krytox® Performance Lubricants technology provides improved expansion bearing performance and low life-cycle cost. Krytox® grease will not oxidize or break down, giving you greater turbine uptime, reduced vibration and lower operating costs than when using conventional hydrocarbon lubricants. Turbine parts last longer and you’ll
re-lubricate less often.
DuPont Serves the Power Generation Industry
DuPont also offers solvents and wet and dry lubricants for high-temperature applications to help ensure the optimal performance of critical electrical and power generating equipment — with less downtime and lower maintenance costs.
Krytox® has been specified for use by manufacturers for mechanical components requiring lubrication in high-temperature environments that include steam turbine, gas turbine and generator systems.
Request a DuPont™ Krytox® Lubricant Sample