Company Provides Wide Range of Products for Flat Panel Displays
DuPont, a leading supplier of materials to the flat panel display industry, today announced a wide range of recent innovations that provide critical benefits for the performance of displays.
In addition to its recently announced solution-processing of small molecule materials for organic light emitting displays (OLEDs), the company has unveiled the new DuPont™ Optilon™ Advanced Composite Reflector, designed to significantly improve the performance of liquid crystal displays (LCDs).
DuPont also has developed a laser imaging process to replace photolithography in the manufacture of color filters for LCDs, a lead-free DuPont Fodel® photoimageable thick-film paste for the metallization of the front glass used in plasma display panels (PDPs), and a new stabilized film offering developed by DuPont Teijin Films that is ideal for use in flexible displays.
"DuPont continues to be a technology leader in the displays industry," said Craig G. Naylor, group vice president – DuPont Electronic & Communication Technologies. "Our objective is to be the world’s leading supplier of the most innovative materials, technologies and processes to meet the growing demand for flat panel displays with exceptional images that are long lived, energy efficient and cost effective."
DuPont’s latest developments in display technology include:
OLED solution process technology – Combining small molecule OLED materials with low-cost solution manufacturing technology, this unique new process is substantially lower cost and more scalable than incumbent processes such as vapor deposition.
DuPont™ Optilon™ Advanced Composite Reflector – With a flat reflectance spectra, improved ultraviolet (UV) and environmental stability, and higher diffuse reflectivity, the DuPont™ Optilon™ advanced composite reflector offers increased display luminance, more neutral color and improved LED BLU performance over other industry alternatives.
Lead-free Fodel® – The new lead-free Fodel® photoimageable thick-film paste enables compliance with lead-free directives while providing the same cost-effective, high-performance metallization for PDPs provided by previous generation products.
DuPont™ Thermal Color Filter System – The new precision patterning process for the manufacture of color filters eliminates the need for photomasks while offering significant cost savings and reduced process steps as compared to photolithography.
Stabilized film – DuPont Teijin Films has developed a new process for stabilized film designed to meet the unique requirements of flexible displays and printable electronics markets, with key characteristics such as flatness, outstanding surface quality and cleanliness, low shrinkage and availability in wider widths.
DuPont also provides the following materials, processes and technologies for displays:
New materials for OLEDs
- DuPont™ Buffer (DB) material is designed to increase the lifetime and efficiency of OLEDs, both solution processed and vapor deposited systems. DuPont is scaling-up this material for commercial sale to OLED manufacturers.
- The revolutionary DuPont™ Drylox™ cover glass integrates a high-performance getter and optional glass ledge into a single-component lid for superior performance, design flexibility, cost savings and very thin displays.
Enhancements for LCDs
- DuPont™ Direct Bonding technology combines an industry leading adhesive with a cost-effective lamination process to improve outdoor readability and ruggedization of displays and touch panels by more than 300 percent.
- Additional DuPont technologies include high-efficiency backlight enhancements and EMI shielding that can be combined with Direct Bonding to maximize display performance.
New developments for PDPs
- DuPont has advanced transfer materials technology (TMT) to a next-generation, dry film-based metallization process for lower cost and higher-resolution patterning.
- DuPont Fodel® photoimageable thick-film technology has been developed for the metallization of next-generation displays.
Additional optical films and coatings
- DuPont™ Optilon™ single-layer, wet-coated anti-reflective film provides extremely low reflectivity and high abrasion resistance.
- DuPont Teijin Films provides leading products for the industry such as polyethylene naphthalate (PEN) and polyethylene terephthalate (PET) polyester films.
In addition to the above products, DuPont offers a number of other materials for displays, including DuPont™ Kapton® E polyimide films, DuPont™ Pyralux® flexible circuit materials , and DuPont™ Vespel® parts and shapes. DuPont™ Kapton® E, a dielectric film for very fine pitch circuitry, provides superior dimensional stability, has a high modulus, lies flat, and is easily processed through chemical etching and laser ablation. DuPont™ Pyralux®, an adhesivesless flexible laminate, enables sharp, crisp, flawless images in LCDs and PDPs. DuPont™ Vespel® parts and shapes, when used in display manufacturing, improve yields, increase throughput, reduce consumables and increase manufacturing space.
DuPont is a science company. Founded in 1802, DuPont puts science to work by creating sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere. Operating in more than 70 countries, DuPont offers a wide range of innovative products and services for markets including agriculture, nutrition, electronics, communications, safety and protection, home and construction, transportation and apparel.
# # #
For more information on DuPont’s offerings to the displays industry, visit:www.displays.dupont.com