DuPont Malaysia Sdn Bhd is a signatory of the UN Global Compact Initiative. Dr Hapiz Abdullah our Managing Director has signed the declaration on 25th July 2003. Thus signifying the company’s support for the Global Compact’s ten principles in the area of human rights, labour, the environment and anti-corruption.
The following summarizes our progress for 2007:
Global Compact Principle DuPont Malaysia's Compliance
- Support and respect the international proclaimed human rights DuPont Malaysia 's working conditions and remuneration package are better than those provided by the law in the country. One of our core values is People respect, where we foster an environment in which every employee is treated with respect and dignity, and is recognized for their contributions to our business.
- Make sure that our corporation is not complicit in human rights abuses. We adhere to this principle through compliance with all applicable legislation in Malaysia.
- Freedom of association and effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining. We comply with all industrial relations legislation and a comparison in the industry shows that we are one of the better companies in terms of remuneration and work environment.
- Elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour. All labour is sourced from the local labour market. Employees are provided with employment contract in accordance with the local industrial relations laws. Employees are free to resign at any time in accordance to the employment contract they have signed.
- The effective abolition of child labour. We comply with the labour legislation and do not employ anyone below 18years. Our community activity of focused on children's education in rural areas to encourage them to better in their lives. The objective of our community programs in schools is to encourage science, Maths and English education at a young age and that they will perform better in school resulting in a better educated community in the future.
- The elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation. We are committed to provide opportunities for employees to develop their professional skills, recognise success and bring to light areas of improvement that serve to strengthen the capability and productivity of individuals and our organization.
- Support a precautionary approach to environment challenges We adhere to high standards of safe operations of facilities and protection of the environment, our employees, our customers and the communities in which we do business. We strongly support CICM and its efforts in promoting the Responsible Care Program. This year we were one of the main sponsors to the Asia Pacific Chemical Conference held in Malaysia Malaysia.
- Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility. We strongly support Chemical Industries Council Malaysia and its efforts in promoting the Responsible Care Program. Our crop protection division has frequent trainings for farmers on the safe and effective use of our products.
- Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies. The ultimate goal of DuPont is sustainable growth increasing societal value while reducing our environmental footprint. DuPont aims to accomplish this by delivering new products through power of its integrated science, vigorously pursuing knowledge intensity in all its businesses and significantly increase its productivity.
- Work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery. DuPont has a code of ethics on how to conduct business and this is followed through with quarterly trainings. Audits are done regularly to ensure good governance. We have a dedicated telephone line for employees to report any ethics violation.