DuPont Sealant Selector Takes the Mystery out of Selecting the Right Packaging Sealant
DuPont Sealant Selector Speeds up the Sealing Process
Selecting the right sealant for a package is no trivial matter. There are myriad options available and the process for selection often time-consuming and difficult. Now there is a way to speed up this process and make a more informed choice regarding sealant selection.
The Science of Sealing
In order to ensure that a package stays sealed throughout warehousing, distribution, display and usage, the packaging engineer or designer must take into account multiple factors when selecting a sealant - converting process attributes, packaging form requirements, end-use conditions and other property needs. Based on user input, the tool takes these criteria and uses them in modeling a specific packaging application, quickly comparing the hypothetical performance of a range of typical sealants (LDPE, EVA, ACR, ionomer, etc.). This helps identify the “critical few” potential sealant resin options from the vast array of possible choices.
Once the various options have been ranked, the user can then apply additional selection criteria to see what grade(s) of Surlyn® ionomer resin best fit the needs of the application. Links to Surlyn® Product Data Sheets are embedded right in the results table of the tool to make it easy to get more information. Finally, the value-in-use of these options can be determined and “total cost” compared using the Sealant Value Estimator, or SaVE Tool.
- Click HERE to begin using the tool (will open in another window).
- Once the tool is launched, either select the “Comparison of Commonly Used Packaging Sealants” option or the “Surlyn® Interactive Selector Guide” option. Note that no matter what option is chosen, at the end of the modeling run you can quickly switch to the other option as all of the information that you enter is saved and transferred.
- Next, to select an application to model, either choose “New Application” to identify the various criteria attributes and respective importance, or “Typical Application” to select an application from a pre-defined list. Even if you select from the list of typical applications, the criteria attributes can still be added or removed, and their importance changed. These are just starting points. Now click “Submit.”
- On the Converting Process Attributes page, select or deselect criteria attributes that you wish to include and click “Submit.”
- For the criteria attributes that you have chosen, rate the importance from 0 (no importance) to 10 (high importance). You may use the same importance rating for multiple attributes. You may go back and add or delete criteria attributes by clicking the “Back” button. After you are satisfied with your criteria attributes and ratings, click “Submit”.
- Repeat for Packaging Form Attributes, End Use Attributes, and Other Attributes.
- If you chose the “Comparison of Commonly Used Packaging Sealants” option at the beginning, you will now see the Commonly Used Packaging Sealants Results table, which shows the scores for the various sealants based on the criteria attributes and ratings that you chose. You may print this table out, generate a graph, restart from the beginning, or go into the Surlyn® Interactive Selector Tool option by clicking “Select Surlyn® Grades”.
- Once you choose “Select Surlyn® Grades” you will be taken to the Surlyn® Interactive Selector Guide.
- You may select a specific range of MI’s to consider, and/or a specific cation to consider. Once you have made these selections, click “Submit”. You will see the Surlyn® Results table which shows the scores for the various Surlyn® grades based on the criteria and rating that you chose. You may print this table out, generate a graph, restart from the beginning, or go into the “Comparison of Commonly Used Packaging Sealants” option by clicking “Comparison of Common Sealants”. Please note that the scores from the Comparison of Commonly Used Packaging Sealants table CAN NOT be compared to the scores from the Surlyn® Interactive Selector Guide table; they are calculated differently. The scores can only be compared WITHIN a specific tool.
- When you are all finished and you want to model another application, click on the “Restart” button.
- You may enter the tool by clicking here.
DuPont Sealant Selector helps you explore new ways to handle tough sealing challenges.