The 21st DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation
Innovation Factors Considered for Judging Criteria
- Enhanced Performance – Enhanced functionality. Safer, easier or more convenient to use. Improved shelf appeal, visual impact, “theatre” at point of sale or experiential design.
- Cost-Effective Economics – Fewer defects. Allows for enhanced productivity or faster turnaround. Reduces weight. Affects freight costs. Reduces the total system costs. Can be reused. Reduces spoilage or other types of waste.
- Resource & Energy Optimization – More energy efficient. Uses renewable resources or offsets through the purchase of energy credits. Optimizes the use of energy. Uses recycled materials.
- Responsible Sourcing – Uses responsible materials and sourcing; resource management certification systems used in material selection. Supply chain is reliable. Fair labor or fair trade certification systems used in the sourcing process.
- Clean Production – Uses measures to ensure that manufacturing processes did not result in emissions of air pollutants or exposure of workers to toxic substances. Steps were taken to ensure clean production practices.
- Effective Recovery – Design of the package ensures effective recovery. There is a feasible, end-of-life scenario for the package and or a plan or its flow through the recovery infrastructure.
- Community Benefit – Efforts have been made to educate end-users on the value of sustainable practices. The package has social impact. The package does not persist long in the environment if littered. Relevant and credible environmental claims.
The DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation is the industry’s longest running, independently judged global awards program honoring packaging materials, processes, technology and service innovations. The 21st DuPont Awards has a special focus on recognizing innovations that demonstrate breakthrough achievements in sustainability.
DuPont - one of the first companies to publicly establish environmental goals 19 years ago - has broadened its sustainability commitments beyond internal footprint reduction to include market-driven targets for both revenue and research and development investment. The goals are tied directly to business growth, specifically to the development of safer and environmentally improved new products for key global markets.
For more information about DuPont Packaging and the Awards competition, visit: www.packaging.dupont.com.
For more information about DuPont sustainable packaging products, visit:
For more information about DuPont renewably sourced materials, visit:
DuPont is a science-based products and services company. Founded in 1802, DuPont puts science to work by creating sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere. Operating in more than 70 countries, DuPont offers a wide range of innovative products and services for markets including agriculture and food, building and construction, communications, and transportation.