DuPont Solutions to Today’s Demand for Sustainable Packaging
Wilmington, Del., USA, May 28, 2009
Demand Continues to Grow Despite the Economy, and Industry Commitment is High
- Consumers are not backing off from green purchasing despite the economy - 44% of consumers say their green buying habits remain unchanged despite the current economy. and a third of consumers say they are MORE likely to buy green today than previously.
- Among consumer goods producers, over half (55%) say their commitment to sustainabiltiy initiatives have not changed and that packaging is their top focus area (76%).
Sustainable Packaging is Important to DuPont
- Packaging is a ~2.5 billion market for DuPont and sustainable packaging is a growing and important focus, supporting the company’s goal of improving the sustainability of value chains where it participates.
- DuPont expects that industry growth of sustainable packaging will be five times higher than the current packaging industry growth rate
DuPont Sustainable Packaging Solutions
- DuPont has a broad portfolio of sustainable solutions for packaging.
- Energy and greenhouse gas reductions can be achieved with DuPont™ Cyrel® FAST solventless platemaking systems.
- Renewably sourced materials include products such as such as DuPont™ Biomax® PTT polyester resins and DuPont™ Biomax® TPS starch-based resins. These contain greater than 20 percent by weight renewably sourced ingredients.
- Materials including DuPont™ Surlyn® films can help reduce the amount of packaging that is needed to protect products, replacing cardboard, clamsheels or blister packs, and in downgauging packaging films.
DuPont is a science-based products and services company. Founded in 1802, DuPont puts science to work by creating sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere. Operating in more than 70 countries, DuPont offers a wide range of innovative products and services for markets including agriculture and food; building and construction; communications; and transportation.