Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response
This section of Title 29 of the Code of Federal Regulations covers the following operations, unless the employer can demonstrate that the operation does not involve employee exposure or the reasonable possibility for employee exposure to safety or health hazards:
Clean-up operations required by a governmental body, whether Federal, state, local or other involving hazardous substances that are conducted at uncontrolled hazardous waste sites; including, but not limited to, the EPA's National Priority List (NPL), state priority site lists, sites recommended for the EPA NPL, and initial investigations of government identified sites which are conducted before the presence or absence of hazardous substances has been ascertained.
- Corrective actions involving clean-up operations at sites covered by the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act of 1976 (RCRA).
- Voluntary clean-up operations at sites recognized by Federal, state, local or other governmental bodies as uncontrolled hazardous waste sites.
- Operations involving hazardous wastes that are conducted at treatment, storage and disposal (TSD) facilities.
- Emergency response operations for releases of, or substantial threats of releases of, hazardous substances without regard to the location of the hazard.
Employers shall develop and implement a written safety and health program for their employees involved in hazardous waste operations. The program shall be designed to identify, evaluate, and control safety and health hazards, and provide for emergency response for hazardous waste operations. The written program must include specific and detailed information on the following topics:
- An organizational work -plan
- Site evaluation and control
- A site specific program
- An information and training program
- A personal protective equipment program
- A medical surveillance program
- Decontamination procedures
- An emergency response program
There are several different companies that provide information and sell copies of standards and test methods. One of these companies is ILI Infodisk Inc. ILI can be reached in the United States at:
ILI Infodisk Inc.
610 Winters Avenue
Paramus , NJ 07652
Tel: 888 454 2688
Fax: 201 986 7886
ILI can be reached in the United Kingdom at:
Berks SL5 7EU
Tel: 44 1344 636 300
Fax: 44 1344 291 194