1859 First Acquisition
By the 1850s the unfolding industrial revolution was powered by coal, and few enterprises consumed more explosives than coal mining. The explosives mill on Wapwallopen Creek was built by Parrish, Silver & Company in 1855, but explosion and flood bankrupted the firm in 1859 and DuPont bought the facility for $35,000.
Lammot du Pont personally oversaw the rebuilding and expansion of the facility, and by 1860 it was once again producing blasting powder. The mill was an excellent investment. Coal production doubled in the 1860s, and with the outbreak of the Civil War, Wapwallopen also supplied both military and blasting powder to the U.S. Army. The plant operated successfully until 1911, when two explosions hit. Instead of rebuilding, DuPont moved its operations to newer facilities near Moosic, Pa. In 1973, after DuPont filled its last contract for black powder, the Moosic plant was also sold.