1928 DuPont Mexico Formed
In 1952 DuPont established rayon plants in Monterrey and Mexico City. Two years later DuPont S.A. de C.V. opened a plant at Tlalnepantla for the production of paints, Vexar plastic netting, and organic fungicides. Another facility opened at Ciudad Obregon in 1956.
DuPont’s postwar expansion came largely by way of joint ventures because through the 1960s the Mexican government required that the manufacture of any product new to the country could not be foreign controlled. In 1958 Pigmentos y Productos Quimicos, S.A. de C.V. was established, with DuPont holding 49 percent interest and Mexican investors holding the balance. The company opened a titanium dioxide plant at Tampico in 1960. That same year, DuPont helped launch Nylon de Mexico S.A. which marketed nylon products under the brand name Delcron. Another joint venture, Policron de Mexico S.A., which marketed polyester products, was merged into Nylon de Mexico S.A. in 1974. By 1975, DuPont had a $200 million plant investment and 11 affiliates in Mexico and the next year yet another joint venture was launched to produce Lycra for the Mexican market.
But increasingly, it was the wholly owned DuPont S.A. de C.V. that was the heart of DuPont’s Mexican operations. The Compania Mexicana de Explosivos had been absorbed into DuPont S.A. de C.V. during the 1960s, and the Dinamita plant diversified into the production of substituted urea herbicides and blasting caps. DuPont S.A. continued to expand through the 1980s and added a sodium cyanide plant in 1990. In the early 1990s, DuPont brought all of its Mexican operations – both wholly and partly owned – together under the umbrella of DuPont Mexico. The North American Free Trade Agreement helped spur DuPont Mexico’s growth, and its total investment grew 28 percent between 1996 and 1999 to $600 million, half of which involved joint ventures. In 1997 the company finally sold its Dinamita interests, closing the chapter on its explosives production. But DuPont Mexico’s 4,500 manufacturing workers continue to produce a wide range of products at 11 facilities including Ti-Pure® titanium dioxide, performance coatings and automotive finishes, crop protection products and engineering polymers.
The Lycra trademark and Lycra products were divested as part of the INVISTA separation in April 2004.