1929 Spruance Plant
DuPont purchased land near Richmond, Va., for a new rayon factory in 1927. The plant, named in honor of rayon pioneer William Spruance, opened two years later with 600 employees. In 1930 a cellophane plant opened at the site since both rayon and cellophane use similar production processes.
DuPont expanded its production capacity in Richmond throughout the 1930s due to increased use of cellophane and the introduction of Cordura rayon. Further expansions included facilities for cellulose acetate film and Cordura yarn for car tires. During World War II, the Richmond plant had War Supply Contracts for paper cellophane, cellophane and rayon yarn. These contracts resulted in a wartime peak of 4,450 workers at the Spruance site.
Though DuPont ceased production of rayon and Cordura in Richmond in the 1950s and 1960s, the Spruance site continued to produce cellophane as well as new materials such as Tyvek®, Nomex® and Teflon®. The expansion of Kevlar® facilities in 1980 marked one of the largest capital appropriations in DuPont history. Through the 1990s, DuPont expanded facilities for products such as specialty chemicals. For over six decades, Spruance has been a key site in the development of new films, continuing to adapt to DuPont’s changing needs.
The Cordura trademark and Cordura products were divested as part of the INVISTA separation in April 2004.