1967 Nomex®

Nomex heat-resistant fiber grew out of work done in the late 1950s at DuPont’s Pioneering Research Laboratory by Paul Morgan and Stephanie L. Kwolek. After an unprecedented investment in development–including the establishment of a pilot plant at the Spruance plant in Richmond, Va., in 1959–DuPont introduced Nomex in both woven and nonwoven form in 1967. Offered in paper, felt, fabric and fiber forms, Nomex serves a variety of industries, but remains best known for its use in firefighter’s apparel.