DuPont Installs its Largest Solar Panel Array to Generate Energy Needs at Research Facility
The Company’s Installation Advances Clean Renewable Energy
KAUAI, Hawaii, January 29, 2009 - DuPont today announced the installation of its largest photovoltaic solar energy facility at its Pioneer Hi-Bred Waimea Research Center in Kauai, Hawaii.
The Waimea photovoltaic installation is comprised of 1,500 panels – made from several DuPont photovoltaic materials -- produced by Evergreen Solar and installed by REC Solar. The one-acre array is capable of generating about 85 percent of the energy needs of the research facility. It is expected to generate 706,205 kilowatt hours (kwh) annually, or enough power for 64 average-size homes. By using renewable energy, the facility will avoid the emissions (equivalent carbon dioxide) from approximately 100 cars annually, saving Pioneer about $200,000 per year in avoided purchased electricity costs. The installation was completed and fully operational in December 2008.
DuPont has already installed photovoltaic solar power systems for its R&D and business facilities in Wilmington, Del., and Taoyuan, Taiwan.
"This installation is a great example of our commitment to be both a key materials and technology supplier to the photovoltaic industry, and also a leader of solar power use," said Marc Doyle, global business director – DuPont Photovoltaic Solutions (http://photovoltaics.dupont.com). "Our products can help make clean renewable energy a reality while also powering our facilities as part of DuPont’s sustainability goals."
DuPont offers the broadest portfolio in the solar energy market with eight essential products. DuPont is a leading material and technology supplier to the photovoltaic industry with more than 25 years of experience in photovoltaic materials development. DuPont technologies enable higher power output with improved productivity and increased solar module lifetime. The company offers a broad and growing portfolio of materials solutions for both crystalline silicon and thin film cells and modules including:
- DuPont™ Elvax® EVA resins for the encapsulant sheet: cushions individual cells from impact and enables the transmission of sunlight to the cells;
- DuPont PV Encapsulant Sheets: Ranging from soft to structural, clear DuPont™ PV5200 and PV5300 Series encapsulant sheets offer proven safety and laminating performance, and deliver long-term protection for the most sensitive portions of photovoltaic modules;
- DuPont™ Teflon® fluoropolymer film for front sheets and flexible panels: offers mechanical strength and durability against cracking and abrasion, flexibility and nearly 100 percent transparency;
- DuPont™ Tedlar® polyvinyl fluoride films: delivers long-lasting UV and weather-resistant back sheets;
- DuPont™ Solamet® thick film metallization pastes: increases the efficiency and yield of solar cells;
- DuPont™ Rynite® PET thermoplastic resins: increases safety, eliminates corrosion, and provides long-lasting performance for junction boxes and structural supports in harsh environments;
- DuPont™ Kapton® polyimide film for thin film substrates: provides excellent electrical and thermal properties to thin film modules;
- DuPont Teijin Films (Mylar®, Melinex® and Tetoron® polyester films) for backsheet interlayers: provides added protection from the environment;
- Kalrez® perfluoroelastomer parts from DuPont Performance Elastomers: provides excellent resistance to aggressive chemicals and high temperatures to help reduce the risk of unplanned maintenance.
DuPont – one of the first companies to publicly establish environmental goals 19 years ago – has broadened its sustainability commitments beyond internal footprint reduction to include market-driven targets for both revenue and research and development investment. The goals are tied directly to business growth, specifically to the development of safer and environmentally improved new products for key global markets.
DuPont is a science-based products and services company. Founded in 1802, DuPont puts science to work by creating sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere. Operating in more than 70 countries, DuPont offers a wide range of innovative products and services for markets including agriculture and food; building and construction; communications; and transportation.