Kapton® high performance flexible films for photovolataic substrates
DuPont™ Kapton® polyimide film has more than 45 years of proven performance as the material of choice in applications involving temperature extremes and harsh environments. Within the photovoltaic market, Kapton® films are now in commercial use as well as in evaluation for substrates in thin film amorphous silicon (a-Si) modules and CIGS applications.
- Roll-to-roll processing
- Low CTE to minimize stress
- Low moisture uptake and high moisture release characteristics
- Excellent electrical properties and increased voltage endurance
- Ceramic filled versions to increase corona resistance and thermal conductivity
- Future generation substrates with higher temperature and lower CTE capacity under development
- Complementary flexible ultra moisture barrier top sheet and low moisture ingress encapsulant under development
DuPont is putting science to work to accelerate the development of additional Kapton® polyimide films for the flexible and thin film PV industry. Reinforced polyimides with higher temperature processing capability and dimensional stability are expected to provide increased efficiency in CIGS PV applications, while maintaining the desirable properties of a polymeric substrate. Flexible, insulating, nonorganic approaches are also being developed for even higher temperature processing capability for monolithic CIGS thin film PV.