Thorny huisache can grow 15 to 30 feet tall, on average, and can cause major problems in utility rights of way. If left untreated, these prolific trees can choke out desirable vegetation and become increasingly difficult to control. DuPont™ Viewpoint® herbicide controls huisache, helping land managers continue to protect public safety and provide reliable power by maintaining transmission and distribution line rights of way.
Viewpoint® Huisache Control Trial
Location: Bloomington, Texas
Situation: The trial was conducted on a non-crop site in southeast Texas with heavy huisache coverage.
Date of treatment: September 2005
Treatments: Viewpoint® was applied at 15 ounces per acre in a high-volume foliar application at 100 gallons per acre with MSO at 1 percent v/v. DuPont™ Krenite® S brush control agent, DuPont™ Escort® XP herbicide and Arsenal were included in the trial.
Results: Evaluation 229 days after treatment showed 95 percent control with Viewpoint® and 100 percent control at 656 days.
Application Tips for Success
- Apply Viewpoint® to huisache in non-crop sites at a rate of 16 to 20 ounces per acre in the fall. Do not apply more than 20 ounces per acre per year.
- If sensitivity to desirable grasses on a right of way is a concern, apply DuPont™ Streamline® herbicide to huisache at a rate of 9.5 to 11.5 ounces per acre when brush plants are actively growing. Do not apply more than 11.5 ounces per acre per year.
- Use sufficient water volume to ensure thorough foliage coverage.
- For best results, treat huisache before brush gets too tall or too dense for adequate foliage coverage.
- Viewpoint® is registered for non-crop use only. Do not graze or feed forage, hay or straw from treated areas to livestock.
Viewpoint® also controls ash, boxelder, hackberry, maple, mesquite and other hard-to-control brush. This broad-spectrum control eliminates the need for multiple tank-mix partners, reducing mixing errors and increasing productivity. Refer to the Viewpoint® label for a complete list of brush controlled and complete application instructions.
Arsenal is a registered trademark of BASF.