Dover Motorsports Unveils "The Most Exciting Seat in Sports" Featuring DuPont™ SentryGlas®
Dover, DE., May 8, 2004 - DuPont has signed a 3-yr agreement to be the title sponsor of the DuPont Monster Bridge, a first-of-its-kind in motorsports, at Dover International Speedway, known to NASCAR fans as the "Monster Mile®."
Made with more than a dozen DuPont products and technologies, the DuPont Monster Bridge is a glass-enclosed seating structure that extends over the concrete superspeedway that hosts two NASCAR race weekends each year. The bridge debuted on the race weekend of June 4-6, 2004, which featured the stars of the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series, Busch Series and Craftsman Truck Series.
|The DuPont Monster Bridge gives fans an up-close view as cars enter Turn 3 at Dover International Speedway|
Brought to life by "The miracles of science™" from DuPont, the DuPont Monster Bridge suspends 50 lucky racing fans in air-conditioned comfort 29 feet above the fast-paced NASCAR action. Many sports put fans on the sideline, close to the action — but no other seat in sports allows them to stare into competitors’ eyes as they roar toward them and pass underneath their feet.
"When Dover Motorsports, Inc. approached us about making their vision for the Monster Bridge a reality, we jumped at the opportunity," said Craig F. Binetti, vice president and general manager, DuPont Packaging & Industrial Polymers. "This project allows us to demonstrate that DuPont building innovations can not only help improve the safety and performance of the DuPont Monster Bridge but also enhance the comfort and experience of spectators on the bridge as they enjoy the racing action."
|Glass made with DuPont™ SentryGlas® safety interlayers surrounds guests on the bridge|
|Dover International Speedway is the first NASCAR track to provide seating on a bridge directly over the track.|
Other DuPont products and technologies featured in the DuPont Monster Bridge:
- DuPont™ SentryGlas® Expressions decorative interlayer is used to protect the text and graphics in the graduated shade band and signature areas of the glass enclosure from dirt and abrasion.
- DuPont™ Tyvek® CommercialWrap® spunbonded polyolefin is used to manage water and air infiltration in its exterior wall construction. DuPont™ Flashing Systems self-adhering flashing tape is used to help prevent wind and water from entering the structure at vulnerable junctures or openings such as windows.
- The stylish, functional and durable beverage bar area within the DuPont Monster Bridge interior is created with distinctively beautiful DuPont™ Zodiaq® quartz surfaces in Eclipse Blue and versatile DuPont™ Corian(R) solid surfaces in Pearl Gray.
- To help protect the seating structure and its furnishings from the elements, the builders used flexible and weather resistant DuPont™ Elvaloy® KEE resin in the roofing membrane.
- To provide toughness, clarity and stain resistance, DuPont™ Surlyn® resin is used in the resilient, environmentally friendly nonvinyl flooring located in the bar area where guests can refresh their favorite beverage during the race.
- Spectators on the DuPont Monster Bridge will stay cool and comfortable thanks to the environmentally friendly DuPont™ Suva® refrigerants specified for the structure’s Carrier air conditioning unit.
- The interior steel ceiling panels and aluminum supports on the DuPont Monster Bridge have base coats of DuPont ™ Corlar(R) polyamide epoxy and top coats of DuPont™ Imron® polyurethane.
- The DuPont Display Solutions business created anti-glare and anti-reflective treatments for the nine flat screen television monitors on the DuPont Monster Bridge.
- DuPont Technology Solutions applied advance finite element modeling, in-depth knowledge of DuPont™ SentryGlas® interlayer, and high-speed video photography to design and demonstrate that the DuPont Monster Bridge glazing could stop small flying debris, such as a lug nut traveling at 200 mph.
- DuPont™ FE-36™ fire extinguishing agent, used in the Ansul CLEANGUARD® fire extinguishers specified for the Bridge, is suited for applications where the agent must be clean, electrically nonconductive, and exceptionally effective.
DuPont is a science company. Founded in 1802, DuPont puts science to work by solving problems and creating solutions that make people’s lives better, safer and easier. Operating in more than 70 countries, the company offers a wide range of products and services to markets including agriculture, nutrition, electronics, communications, safety and protection, home and construction, transportation and apparel.
# # #
The DuPont Oval Logo, DuPont™, The miracles of science™, SentryGlas®, SentryGlas® Expressions, Tyvek® CommercialWrap®, Zodiaq®, Corian®, Elvaloy®, Surlyn®, Suva®, Corlar®, Imron® and FE-36™ are trademarks or registered trademarks of DuPont or its affiliates.
CLEANGUARD® is a registered trademark of Ansul.