The Spruance Plant is home to 5 businesses: Kevlar®, Mylar®, Nomex®, Tyvek®& and Zytel® and is currently DuPont's largest manufacturing site in terms of both employment and capital investment. In fact, Spruance is the global headquarters for one of DuPont’s fastest-growing businesses: Protection Technologies. Located on 550 acres on the James River, Spruance was constructed on the Ampthill plantation site in 1929 to begin as a Rayon® facility. The original home was disassembled and recreated in Richmond's west end, where it remains a private residence. The site was named after DuPont vice-president Col. William Spruance who was responsible for acquiring rights to the cellophane process for the company from France.