Peter Arnell, Jung-Ah Suh, Philipp von Dalwig, Architect-Design Team, Arnell Group
Fabricator: Evans and Paul
- Creating a unique, new store experience for a cutting-edge luxury jeweller that showcases the preciousness of the product to its sophisticated clientele
- Choosing a material that can be fabricated to represent the layered rock strata in diamond mines.
- Selecting a material that is functional, yet can accommodate complex design elements, including a 12-foot high, 110-foot long façade, which wraps from the exterior to the interior of the store.
- Securing a strong, yet versatile solid surfacing material that can create a textured, stylish environment.
- Creating an interactive den of exploration that allows the customer to “mine” for their merchandise.
- Locating a monolithic wall surface for both indoor and outdoor use that is durable and easy to clean.
- The design flexibility of DuPont™ Corian® solid surface helped create a uniquely modern environment throughout the entire retail area and exterior façade.
- By digitally carving the Corian®, using the Computer Numeric Control routing technique, the designer was able to create a horizontally-layered design mimicking natural rock strata found in diamond mines.
- The use of Corian® allowed for the creation of a single, sleek sheet of wall surface that extends from floor to ceiling, interior to exterior, as well as textured, angular display cases.
- Corian® is available in a wide range of colors, including Glacier White, which was described by the project team as “such an intense white that was very important to the store’s design.”
- The versatility of Corian® represents unlimited design flexibility to create curves, angles, distinct edge treatments and more.
- Because it is a lightweight, high-strength material that is compatible with typical building materials, Corian® is an excellent solution for exterior cladding applications. It resists salt and pollution. Even graffiti can easily be removed.