DuPont has over 200 years of experience committing to core values of safety, health, and environmental stewardship. Today we are in an era of sustainable growth, focusing on solutions that create shareholder and societal value while we reduce our environmental footprint along the value chains in which we operate.
Here are a few key milestones from throughout our history.
- DuPont surpasses three of the four 2015 Market-Facing Goals 3 years ahead of schedule
- DuPont Building Innovations achieves zero waste to landfill
- The company is listed on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index and Carbon Disclosure Project Leadership Index
- DuPont completes acquisition of Danisco, a Danish specialty bio-based food ingredient business.
- DuPont begins to deliver low-cost technology for commercial production of ethanol from agricultural residue and bioenergy crops, including corncobs and switchgrass.
- DuPont™ Energain® the first nanofiber-based polymeric battery separator that boosts the performance and safety of lithium ion batteries is introduced for hybrid and electric vehicles.
- DuPont and Honeywell announce a joint venture to produce a new low global warming potential refrigerant for use in automotive air conditioning systems.
- To meet solar industry demand for higher-efficiency photovoltaic cells, DuPont plans to double production for its market-leading DuPont™ Solamet® photovoltaic metallization pastes.
- Zodiaq® quartz surfaces are introduced with recycled content.
- HFO1234yf, a new automotive refrigerant with lower global warming potential developed by DuPont and Honeywell, gains global acceptance by automotive manufacturers as a preferred alternative for refrigerants.
- DuPont Packaging and Graphics introduces Cyrel® FAST Round, the first solvent-free, dry thermal sleeve processing system.
- DuPont enters a joint venture with Danisco to develop cellulosic ethanol.
- DuPont offers first renewably sourced products in the automotive industry.
- Corian® solid surfaces are introduced with recycled content.
- DuPont becomes a founding member of United States Climate Action Plan (USCAP) coalition and a member of Global Roundtable on Climate Change (GROCC).
- Rynaxypyr®, an active insect control ingredient with an enhanced environmental profile that provides protection against damaging pests, is introduced.
- DuPont is a founding member of “Field to Market – the Keystone Alliance for Sustainable Agriculture.”
- Sustainability goals for 2015 are established and include market-facing goals.
- DuPont opens a BioPDO facility in Loudon, TN.
- DuPont expands HFC portfolio by acquiring Isceon®, a new line of non-ozone-depleting retrofit refrigerants for use in stationary air conditioning and commercial refrigeration.
- DuPont donates technology valued at $4.8 million to the Africa Nutritionally Enhanced Sorghum Project – funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- DuPont names Linda J. Fisher first VP and Chief Sustainability Officer for the company.
- LEED standards introduced for “Sustainable Building Design” increasing market demand for DuPont™ Tyvek® homewrap.
- DuPont sponsors the Kenya Chura Community Tissue Culture Banana Project, led by Africa Harvest, which aims to improve agricultural productivity and sustainability.
- DuPont receives U.S. National Medal of Technology, awarded for policy and technology leadership in the phase-out and replacement of CFCs.
- Sustainable Growth adopted as mission of DuPont.
- DuPont completes purchase of Pioneer Hi-Bred.
- DuPont initiates land legacy program.
- DuPont is the first company to join the U.S. Department of Energy ClimateWise Program, and it commits to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 40% by 2000.
- DuPont launches Suva® family of non-ozone-depleting HCFC and HFC products for automotive, residential and commercial applications.
- DuPont becomes a founding member of the World Business Council on Sustainable Development.
- DuPont works with the Carter Center to produce nylon-based filters used in Ghana and Nigeria to eradicate guinea worm disease.
- DuPont calls for phase-out of chlorofluorocarbons, embarks on $500 million research effort to develop CFC replacements.
- DuPont became a founding member of the Wildlife Habitat Council.
- Safety, Health, and Environmental Policy is adopted.
- The first Corporate Environmental Committee is created.
- The first baseline environmental studies are undertaken at DuPont plant sites.
- The first statement of environmental responsibility is adopted.
- The first safety rules are adopted.